Welcome to the Seven Days Project

I was in the Seattle airport and read an article that discussed a new trend: do something then write about it. What could I do I thought? I thought I could write a song a day for awhile. So in the week I had in Oregon with my Dad, I wrote a song a day. I also kept a journal of his stories. I have combined them into one project - a CD of music combined with a book. Stay tuned here as the date for this release approaches and walk this journey with me.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Band

So now, we have the rest of the band.

Rob Carlson, a terrific lapsteel player has agreed to join us. He played for one song of my last CD and I was so impressed. Jeff Root loves to work with him and really trusts his instincts.

Bob Frances will bring along his mandolin. I've run across Bob at several local venues and was always impressed with his work. He has been backing a lot of local people up lately.I am really happy to have him along.

Tom Ruckey will be joining us on percussion. Jeff and I have decided that none of the songs need a full drum kit but that there are places where other types of percussion will be helpful. He's asked Tom to take a look at the songs and recommended.

Pianist Tag Vennard will be playing on a couple of tunes. Tag is not only a wonderful player, but a free, gentle spirit with great enthusiasm that is contagious. I am looking forward to hearing what he can do on his pieces.

Camille Breeze and I are still talking about whether she has the time to join on harmonies. She has a busy October and though she really wants to do it, has to watch her commitments. Jon Swenson (who will be a guest songwriter) has agreed to do one harmony part for me on "Church People." Jon sang harmony on a couple of songs on my CD "City Girl" and he has a sweet, honeyed quality to his voice that goes with mine. I'm glad we can do another song together.

These folks join Jeff Root on guitar and Steve Gilligan on Bass. I am not playing anything but the vocal chords on this release - a wise decision on my part '-)

Each player is working on the songs individually and we will all come together at Jeff's on Oct 2nd to put it all together. I find this unnerving but exciting as well. I am used to working in a studio environment where parts are layered. Additional instrumentalists can then adjust their parts accordingly.

In this case, what happens I wonder if parts overlap or too many are playing at once? The very cool Jeff Root simply says, "You and I will figure it out." There is just something about this man I trust - and I trust the musicianship and collaborative spirit of these players.

I am excited, because this is music at its most organic and I expect great things will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment